So last week I turned 27. Woah. That’s kinda scary. Do you ever just sit down, reflect, and think about where you were a year ago? You think about the people in your life, the jobs you were working, the struggles you faced (which now seem so insignificant). A lot happens in a year, more than we recognize.
A big part of my self reflecting journey is how I have been better to my body. Over the past few years, I started exercising and eating better. My goal in 2014 was to be able to run a 5k. Not only could I run a 5k by May, I was running a 5k once a week. It’s exciting to see what the human body can do. Even as I get older, I feel that my body is more alive. I am able to do more today than I did back in high school.
And being a year older means a new goal. As of February 2, I started 30 days of eating clean. Eating clean is such a broad term, and there aren’t strict boundaries or guidelines. I have learned that you can shape and mold this into whatever you want it to be.
What is eating clean mean to me?
- It’s a way to refresh eating habits by eating healthier options, using less ingredients, and embracing more fruits, vegetables, proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats.
- No more processed foods. Not everything that comes out of a box/bag is bad. Mac n’ cheese? Yeah, that’s not good. Quinoa or whole wheat pasta? Now that sounds more like it.
- I have made the decision to stop eating bread. I honestly don’t eat a lot of it, so it’s not that difficult to cut out of my system.
- Eating smaller meals, and eating more times a day. Ok, I can get down with this. The goal is to eat 5-6 meals a day, every 2-3 hours. This means you need to plan ahead. Nothing in the vending machine will work. You have to be prepared!
- No alcohol, at least not for me. Yup, I’m going 30 days without drinking. I enjoy a glass of wine now and then, but to really cleanse, I won’t be drinking. This decision varies person to person.
- No more added sugars. Woooah… SAY WHAT? This is my biggest problem. I love sweet food. I love sweet desserts. I JUST LOVE SWEETS. Ok, well, too bad. No more!
- To eat meat or to not eat meat… this is the question. Various blogs and articles post contrasting opinions about this topic. Some say eating clean means eating more protein… some say that eating less meat means cutting down on saturated fat. I guess it comes down to a personal choice. Anyone out there have an opinion about this one?
- Eat fruits, but eat more veggies. Gah. Ok, Mom. If you say so. Veggies are fine. They are, OK. I don’t LOVE them, but I don’t HATE them. So my goal is to eat more veggies. And since I enjoy sweet foods, I will attempt to eat fruit towards the end of the evening to curb my sweet tooth.
- Bye bye, refined grains. This means no white flour, sugar, or anything that lasts more than 2 weeks in your kitchen cabinet.
- Drink more water. I know I’m supposed to drink more water… but how much water? I did some research, and found this great website that calculates how much water you should drink based on your age, your height, weight, your activity level, and even the color of your pee! Check it out: http://www.camelbak.com/hydrationcalculator
I’m now going in to my third day of clean eating. So far, I feel more alert and focused at work. I didn’t even have coffee yesterday (say WHAT!), and maybe I won’t again today. I have three new recipes to share with you. Yes, that’s right. Three. They will be posted throughout the week, so keep your eyes peeled! I’m looking forward to continuing this adventure of self discovery. Your support, feedback, comments, and stories are always welcome and appreciated.