Day 4 of eating squeaky clean. The past 18 hours have been especially difficult. The headaches started, and I’m feeling especially foggy. I tried drinking a cup of coffee, but had no desire to even finish it. WHAT IS THIS MADNESS? I imagine that my body is confused and wondering where all the processed sugars are. I know that the first few days are challenging, but I can get past this. I have the will power and drive. I can do this.
I decided to get a little adventurous the other night with my cooking. I’ve been desperately wanting to make a recipe using the veggetti, so I figured now was the time. Yup, you heard me. A veggetti. Not sure what it a veggetti is? It’s a handheld tool that slices squash into noodles. Since I am cutting out pasta, I figured zucchini would be a great substitute. The veggetti has two settings- one for thin noodles, and another for thicker noodles.
Tip: zucchini (and other squash) produce a lot of moisture when usedby the veggetti. The causes sauces to become extra watery. You can boil the zucchini after using the veggetti, or zap it in the microwave to help dissolve the extra moisture. Also, make sure to break apart the long noodles. To do this, lift the zucchini out of the veggetti, and then start again. If you don’t do this, you’ll have endless noodles and you may find yourself in a “Lady and the Tramp” type situation.
- 1 lbs chicken breast (or tofu)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 3-4 medium zucchini
- a handful of almonds (approx. 20 almonds)
- 2-4 Tbsp pesto sauce
- seasoning to taste
- Shred the zucchini in the veggetti. Don’t have a veggetti? That’s ok! You can still cook this meal by cutting the zucchini in slices.
- Zap the zucchini in the microwave to warm it up (or boil). Tip: If you mix cold veggetti with the chicken, the whole plate will be cold. Not fun.
- Cut chicken into small bite size pieces. Cook chicken in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Cut tomatoes and add to chicken.
- Crush almonds in chopper and add to chicken/tomato mix. Tip: Pine nuts would work as well!
- Combine veggetti, almond/chicken/tomato mix. Add seasoning if desired (you can add pesto if you’d like!).
- Oh, and you can top it off with freshly shredded parmesan cheese!
Nutrition Facts: (This includes pesto, but not the parmesan cheese.)
Servings: 3, Calories: 340
Total Fat 17g, Sodium 504mg, Total Carbs 13g, Dietary Fiber 5g, Sugar 6g, Protein 37g
Looking for a recipe nutrition calculator? MyFitnessPal has a very user friendly website just for that!